Telecom, Media & Technology
Garrett Baker is a Managing Director and Head of the Telecommunications, Media & Technology group at Lazard Middle Market. He has more than 20 years of experience advising TMT companies on mergers and acquisitions, having generated, led and completed more than 90 transactions with an aggregate value in excess of $18 billion. Mr. Baker has deep experience across the TMT industry, including specific expertise with broadband, telecom infrastructure, mobile and digital media companies.
Representative transactions* include advising:
- General Communication, Inc. (NASDAQ:GNCMA) on its sale to Liberty Interactive (NASDAQ:LVNTA)
- NewWave/RBI on its sale to Cable ONE (NASDAQ:CABO)
- Wave Broadband on its sale to Oak Hill Capital Partners and GI Partners
- iStreamPlanet on its sale to Time Warner’s Turner Broadcasting (NYSE:TWX)
- GTCR on its acquisitions of NewWave and Cable Management Associates
- ZDirect on its sale to TravelClick
- RCN Telecommunications (NASDAQ:RCNI) and Grande Communications on their sales to ABRY Partners
- Enventis (NASDAQ:ENVE) on its stock-for-stock merger with Consolidated Communications (NASDAQ:CNSL)
- Comcast (NASDAQ:CMCSA) on its sale of non-core assets to FirstComm
- Baja Broadband on its sale to TDS (NYSE:TDS)
Prior to joining Lazard Middle Market, Mr. Baker was President of Waller Capital Partners, where he led Mergers & Acquisitions for cable, telecom and digital media clients and oversaw day-to-day operations of the firm. He joined Waller Capital Partners in 1998 and was named President in 2009. He began his career as a Mergers & Acquisitions banker at Bear Stearns & Co.
Mr. Baker was named as a “Top 50 Dealmaker in North America” by Global M&A Network and one of the cable industry’s top “40 Under 40″ executives by MultiChannel News. He advised Wave Broadband on its sale to Oak Hill Capital and GI Partners, which was awarded “Deal of the Year” by M&A Advisor for TMT deals over $500 million in 2014. He is also a member of the Young Presidents’ Organization (YPO).
Mr. Baker received a Bachelor of Science degree in Analytical Finance and graduated with honors from Wake Forest University.
*Certain transactions completed prior to joining the firm.