Telecom, Media & Technology
Garrett Baker is a Managing Director and Head of Telecommunications, Media & Technology at Lazard Middle Market. He has more than 25 years of experience advising TMT companies on mergers and acquisitions, having personally led more than 120 transactions with an aggregate value in excess of $30 billion. Mr. Baker has deep experience across the TMT industry, including specific expertise with broadband, telecom infrastructure, mobile and digital media companies.
Representative transactions* include advising:
- Stonepeak on its pending acquisition of Astound Broadband
- RigNet (NASDAQ:RNET) on its pending stock-for-stock merger with ViaSat (NASDAQ:VSAT)
- i3 Broadband on its sale to Wren House Infrastructure
- Blue Stream Fiber on its sale to GI Partners
- An ad hoc group of unsecured bondholders in connection with Windstream’s Chapter 11 Restructuring
- Mega Broadband Investments, a portfolio company of GTCR, on its acquisition of Vyve Broadband
- Otelco (NASDAQ:OTEL) on its pending sale to Oak Hill Capital
- Rise Broadband on its recapitalization
- Northland Communications on its sale to Mega Broadband Investments, a portfolio company of GTCR
- Special Committee of the Board of Directors of General Communication, Inc. (NASDAQ:GNCMA) on its pending sale to Liberty Interactive (NASDAQ:LVNTA)
- NewWave/RBI on its sale to Cable ONE (NASDAQ:CABO)
- Wave Broadband on its sale to Oak Hill Capital Partners and GI Partners
- iStreamPlanet on its sale to Time Warner’s Turner Broadcasting (NYSE:TWX)
- ZDirect on its sale to TravelClick
- RCN Telecommunications (NASDAQ:RCNI) and Grande Communications on their sales to ABRY Partners
- Enventis (NASDAQ:ENVE) on its stock-for-stock merger with Consolidated Communications (NASDAQ:CNSL)
- Comcast (NASDAQ:CMCSA) on its sale of non-core assets to FirstComm
- Baja Broadband on its sale to TDS (NYSE:TDS)
Prior to joining Lazard Middle Market, Mr. Baker was President of Waller Capital Partners, where he led mergers and acquisitions for cable, telecom and digital media clients and oversaw day-to-day operations of the firm. He joined Waller Capital Partners in 1998 and was named President in 2009. He began his career as a mergers and acquisitions banker at Bear Stearns & Co.
Mr. Baker was named as a “Top 50 Dealmaker in North America” by Global M&A Network and one of the cable industry’s top “40 Under 40″ executives by MultiChannel News. He advised Wave Broadband on its sale to Oak Hill Capital and GI Partners, which was awarded “Deal of the Year” by M&A Advisor for TMT deals over $500 million in 2014. He is also a member of the Young Presidents’ Organization (YPO).
Mr. Baker received a Bachelor of Science degree in Analytical Finance and graduated with honors from Wake Forest University.
*Certain transactions completed prior to joining the firm.