Food & Agriculture
Adam Wieden is a Managing Director and a member of the Consumer, Food & Retail group at Lazard Middle Market. Mr. Wieden has more than 15 years of investment banking experience advising public and private companies on a range of transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, recapitalizations, capital raises, corporate divestitures, fairness opinions, and strategic advisory assignments. Mr. Wieden’s food experience spans across a broad spectrum of food sectors (e.g., better-for-you, protein, bakery, snacks, prepared foods, animal nutrition, ingredients), market channels (branded, private label, foodservice, and contract manufacturing), and temperature states (frozen, refrigerated, and shelf-stable). Lazard Middle Market’s food practice was started in the late 1990s and remains one of the few practices in the middle market dedicated exclusively to food. In 2019, he was recognized as an “Emerging Leader Dealmaker” by the M&A Advisor and as a “Top 50 Rising Star Dealmaker” by the Global M&A Network.
Many of Mr. Wieden’s transactions have been recognized by industry peers, including the following recent award-winning transactions:
- Ajinomoto (TYO:2802) on its acquisition of Cambrooke Therapeutics (2018 M&A Advisor “Cross Border Deal of the Year, $50MM-$100MM”),
- Buddy’s Kitchen on its sale to Premium Brands Holdings (2018 M&A Advisor “Consumer Staples Deal of the Year” & “M&A Deal of the Year, $50MM-$75MM),
- Del Real Foods on its sale to Palladium Equity Partners (2017 M&A Advisor “Consumer Staples Deal of the Year; Over $100MM”), and
- Highline Produce on its sale to Fyffes (2016 M&A Advisor “Consumer Staples Deal of the Year”).
Other representative transactions include advising:
- Ajinomoto (TYO:2802) on its acquisition of More Than Gourmet,
- Prinova on its sale to Nagase Group (TYO:8012),
Standard Nutrition Company on the sale of its subsidiary Standard Nutrition Canada to La Coop fédérée,
Lawler Foods on its sale to The Original Cakerie, a portfolio company of Gryphon Investors,
Five Star Custom Foods on its sale to Cargill,
Friendly's Branded Ice Cream, a portfolio company of Sun Capital Partners, on its sale to Dean Foods Company (NYSE:DF), and
National Pasteurized Eggs on its sale to Post Holdings (NYSE:POST).
Prior to joining Lazard Middle Market, Mr. Wieden was involved in transactions across a wide variety of other industries, including distribution, capital equipment, industrial products, transportation, third-party logistics, and financial services. Previously, Mr. Wieden was a Vice President at George K. Baum Capital Advisors, Inc. where he was involved in executing buy- and sell-side merger and acquisition transactions across a wide range of industries, with a particular focus on the food and agriculture sectors.
Mr. Wieden graduated cum laude from Kansas State University with Bachelor of Science degrees in finance and management information systems.