Consumer, Food & Retail
Adam Wieden is a Managing Director and a senior member of the Consumer, Food & Retail group at Lazard. Mr. Wieden has more than 15 years of investment banking experience advising public and private companies on a range of transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, recapitalizations, capital raises, corporate divestitures, fairness opinions and strategic advisory assignments. Mr. Wieden’s food experience spans across a broad spectrum of food sectors (e.g., better-for-you, protein, bakery, snacks, prepared foods, animal nutrition, ingredients), market channels (branded, private label, foodservice and contract manufacturing) and temperature states (frozen, refrigerated and shelf-stable). Lazard Middle Market’s food practice was started in the late 1990s and remains one of the few practices in the middle market dedicated exclusively to food. In 2019, he was recognized as an “Emerging Leader Dealmaker” by the M&A Advisor and as a “Top 50 Rising Star Dealmaker” by the Global M&A Network.
Many of Mr. Wieden’s transactions have been recognized by industry peers, including the following recent award-winning transactions:
- Prinova on its sale to Nagase Group (TYO:8012) (M&A Advisor “Corporate/Strategic Deal of the Year” & “Cross Border Deal of the Year, $500MM-$1B”),
- Ajinomoto (TYO:2802) on its acquisition of Cambrooke Therapeutics (M&A Advisor “Cross Border Deal of the Year, $50MM-$100MM”),
- Buddy’s Kitchen on its sale to Premium Brands Holdings (M&A Advisor “Consumer Staples Deal of the Year” & “M&A Deal of the Year, $50MM-$75MM”),
- Del Real Foods on its sale to Palladium Equity Partners (M&A Advisor “Consumer Staples Deal of the Year; Over $100MM”), and
- Highline Produce on its sale to Fyffes (M&A Advisor “Consumer Staples Deal of the Year”).
Other representative transactions include advising:
- Pete & Gerry's Organics on its sale to Butterfly Equity
- Mizkan on the divestiture of its Chile Pepper Business to Olam International Limited (SGX:O32),
- Ajinomoto (TYO: 2802) on its acquisition of More Than Gourmet,
- Standard Nutrition Company on the sale of its subsidiary Standard Nutrition Canada to La Coop fédérée,
- Lawler Foods on its sale to The Original Cakerie, a portfolio company of Gryphon Investors,
- Five Star Custom Foods on its sale to Cargill,
- Friendly's Branded Ice Cream, a portfolio company of Sun Capital Partners, on its sale to Dean Foods Company (NYSE:DF), and
- National Pasteurized Eggs on its sale to Post Holdings (NYSE:POST).
Prior to joining Lazard, Mr. Wieden was a Vice President at George K. Baum Capital Advisors, Inc. where he was involved in executing buy- and sell-side merger and acquisition transactions across a wide range of industries, including food, agriculture, distribution, capital equipment, industrial products, transportation, third-party logistics and financial services.
Mr. Wieden graduated cum laude from Kansas State University with Bachelor of Science degrees in finance and management information systems.