Consumer, Food & Retail
Chris Backscheider is a Director and senior member of the Consumer, Food and Retail Group at Lazard Middle Market. He brings more than 15 years of mergers and acquisitions and capital markets experience, serving clients across the consumer products sector.
Mr. Backscheider has worked with a wide range of clients including private and public companies, large-cap and mid-market private equity sponsors. Representative transactions* include advising:
- Liquid Technologies, a portfolio company of Frontenac Company, on its sale to PLZ Aeroscience Corporation
- Sunless, a portfolio company of The Riverside Company, on its sale to Castle Harlan and Branford Castle Partners
- Altamont Capital Partners on its recapitalization of The Juice Plus Company
- TA Associates on its recapitalization of Paula’s Choice Skincare
- e.l.f. Beauty, a portfolio company of TPG Growth, on its initial public offering and subsequent follow-on equity offerings
- TSG Consumer Partners on its recapitalization of IT Cosmetics
- General Atlantic on its recapitalization of Too Faced Cosmetics
- Cortec Group on its recapitalization of YETI Holdings
- Royal Oak Enterprises on its sale to Mariposa Capital, Martin Franklin’s family office
Additional clients include: Helen of Troy, Church & Dwight, AVON, Weight Watchers, Nu Skin, High Ridge Brands, KIK Custom Products, First Quality Enterprises, Europa Sports Products, Glansaol, PetIQ, Central Garden & Pet, FreshPet and Jarden Corp.
Prior to joining Lazard Middle Market, Mr. Backscheider was a senior member of the Consumer & Retail team at SunTrust Robinson Humphrey. He also previously served in the Mergers & Acquisitions group at Jefferies and Bank of America Merrill Lynch.
Mr. Backscheider graduated from Miami University’s Farmer School of Business.
*Certain transactions completed prior to joining the firm.